Monthly Archives: February 2019


Student, 20, Dies After Eating Leftover Pasta

A student has died after eating a bowl of pasta that he had left out at room temperature for five days.
The 20-year-old from Belgium fell sick after consuming spaghetti leftovers which had been made five days earlier and stored at room temperature.

He warmed the spaghetti in the microwave oven before heading out to play sports.

He ended up coming home half an hour later suffering from headache, abdominal pain, and nausea.

The man, known only as AJ, became violently ill from food poisoning. He spent the next few hours vomiting and also experienced diarrhea. He didn’t seek medical help but just drank water and went to bed.

The following morning, he was found dead in his bed by his shocked parents.
An autopsy revealed he had died suddenly from food poisoning caused by a bacterium called bacillus cereus.

Bacillus cereus is a spore forming bacteria that produces toxins, causing vomiting and diarrhea.
Pasta and tomato sauce samples, the leftovers of the dinner, were also sent for analysis to the National Reference Laboratory for Foodborne Outbreaks, it found that the toxins from the bacterium were so great, they caused his liver to fail and he ended up dead.